"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" ~Albus Dumbledore

Monday 14 February 2011

Saint Valentine's Day

Yes, unfortunately we are going to talk about Valentine’s Day. I am one of the lucky ones to actually have a valentine, and I have done for the last 3 years, so I can’t really remember being aware that I was single for Valentine’s Day, considering I would have been about 15 and didn’t really care.
Nowadays, too much importance is put on whether you have a valentine or not each year. If you do, you spend extra time and money on a special day out, a meal, a present or three. If you don’t, especially if you are female, you will stereotypically be found in bed all day eating ice cream and watching chick flicks. Let’s face it, this is mostly true.
But actually, this commercial holiday has a religious basis, one that wasn’t glitter-covered.
The Saint Valentine most commonly associated with the 14th of February lived under the rule of Claudius the second and was imprisoned for marrying Christian couples. Helping Christians was a crime at the time (ha, unintended rhyming) and he was condemned to death because he tried to convert the Emperor. The Saint Valentine remains in the Catholic Church’s official list of saints, the Roman Martyrology.
Now back to modern day valentines. I will try not to get too mushy on you, Blog. I spent mine mostly in the company of my valentine, my lovely boyfriend of nearly 4 years. We had a bedroom picnic with ice cream and chocolate and I made him watch Bridget Jones’ Diary. A lovely day spent with my love.
I hope, readers, that you have had a nice Valentine’s Day, with chocolate and silly movies and ice cream. But really, we don’t a valentine or an excuse for that.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you had a lovely day. I may not have a valentine, but spending the evening watching Supernatural with two of my favourite people int he world seems good enough for me!

    ReplyDelete