"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" ~Albus Dumbledore

Wednesday 30 November 2011

Don't Talk To Strangers!

And I don't mean that in the sense that parents tell their kids that. No. I mean that I can't talk to strangers. It's not that I have grown up with really strict parents that would drag me away when someone smiled at me, or that when someone I don't know tries to engage me in conversation, I just ignore them. No, apparently I can't talk to strangers.

A few instances in the last couple of months has made me realise this. The most common sort of incident is a mother apologising for her child wondering into my path and I have to slow down and/or move around. I am pretty sure normal people are able to smile and say "Oh, no problem. Kids huh?" But I can't. When this happens to me, I sort of smile or smirk, watching them out of the corner of my eye and walk quickly on. Then, when I have walked on and left the people behind me, I think 'Why didn't I say anything? Is it really that difficult to say that?'

Does anyone else do this? Surely I cannot be the only one this nervous or whatever it is that is stopping a 20 year old woman from talking to people! God, it's so frustrating that I can't even say 'You're welcome' to someone who actually thanks me for waiting out of the way!

Ok, I think that's enough of a rant for now. A few quick observations before I sign off. One - I just saw the Coca Cola advert, which means it is now Christmas (This is probably a UK thing, by the way). Two - I have a stinking cold and should be writing an essay that's due in next week. Three - actually, I don't think I have anything else to say. So, in that case, this was a little bit rubbish and I apologise and I will see you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment